Thursday, August 20, 2026

Popular News

HomeNewsAsiaHunger fears stalk Sudan as fighting continues

Hunger fears stalk Sudan as fighting continues

The World Food Programme says its resuming operations in the country after the crisis there threatens to push millions more people into hunger.

By Nathan Morley

The World Food Programme says its resuming operations in the country after the crisis there threatens to push millions more people into hunger.

The UN agency suspended its work two weeks ago, when three of its staff were killed when fighting erupted between rival military factions in Khartoum.

It reported that 15,000 thousand people fleeing the violence are on the border with South Sudan.

More than 500 deaths have been reported but the exact number of casualties thought to be much higher.

Meanwhile, a Red Cross plane landed earlier this week at Port Sudan with eight tonnes of relief supplies. At the same time, foreign countries continue evacuating their nationals amid the violence.

The violence erupted after deep differences emerged between the army and RSF regarding the latter’s incorporation into the army as stipulated in a framework agreement signed between military and civilian leaders last year.

Sudan has been witnessing armed clashes since April 15, with the two sides blaming each other for sparking the conflict.

Popular News

Pope Leo XIV expresses closeness to victims of Indonesia earthquake

Vatican Secretary of State, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Pope Leo assures those affected by the...

Caritas Indonesia mobilizes in response to Flores earthquake

Following Saturday's 7.7 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia, Catholic relief agency Caritas Indonesia has mobilized...

Myanmar Jesuit sees Buddhist Waso as bridge for interreligious peace

The Buddhist season of Waso can offer Christians and Buddhists in conflict-torn Myanmar a...

Philippines: Diocese of Calapan begins a new chapter

The Diocese of Calapan has been formally established and Bishop Moises Cuevas installed as...