Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Popular News

HomeNewsEuropeKenya’s President announces end of DusitD2 siege

Kenya’s President announces end of DusitD2 siege

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said a siege by suspected militants in Nairobi is over and all the attackers have been “eliminated”.

By Godfrey Kampamba

In a TV address to the nation, President Kenyatta said 14 people had been killed but 700 others were safely evacuated from the complex. The Kenyan Red Cross put the number of dead at 24.

Gunmen attacked the compound in the Westlands district of Kenya’s capital Nairobi on Tuesday, killing at least 14 people.

Officials originally announced the end of the siege hours after it began, but gunfire and explosions were heard again early on Wednesday.

The Somalia-based militant group al-Shabab said it was behind the attack in the complex that houses the DusitD2 hotel as well as offices.

It is not clear how many attackers there were. Along with Kenyans, those dead include nationals from other countries.

Popular News

Europe’s tallest statue of Mary blessed in Poland. “She directs us toward God”

The Europe’s tallest statue of Mary was blessed on August 15 in Konotopie, Poland....

Pope names new members to the Pontifical Committee for Historical Sciences

The three new members are historians Umberto Longo, director of the Italian Historical Institute...

Mediterranean youth gather for peace meeting in southern Italy

Young people from across the Mediterranean are meeting in southern Italy from 10 to...

Pope Leo’s schedule for his four-day Apostolic Journey to France

The program for Pope Leo XIV's fifth Apostolic Journey is published. During his time...