Saturday, February 21, 2026

Popular News

HomeNewsVaticanUkraine war: Europe's largest nuclear power plant off grid

Ukraine war: Europe’s largest nuclear power plant off grid

Ukrainian authorities say a fire caused by shelling has forced the staff of Europe’s largest nuclear plant in Ukraine to disconnect from the nation’s power grid. They claim risks remain at the plant despite the presence of United Nations experts, with Kyiv warning of a possible nuclear disaster.

By Stefan J. Bos
 
Ukraine’s energy minister says a fire forced the staff to close the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant’s last connection to a reserve line providing its only source of outside power.

The minister, Herman Galushchenko, added that this again places critical cooling systems at risk of relying solely on emergency backup power.

Firefighting crews have been unable to reach the blaze site because of continued fighting around the plant.

Shelling, explosions, and fires around the facility in southern Ukraine have raised fears about a possible nuclear disaster.

Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, has accused Russia of using the plant as a nuclear weapon that could threaten his nation and much of Europe.

Zelensky said Russian soldiers occupied “our nuclear station with six [reactors] blocks, the biggest in Europe.” He said it could mean “six Chernobyls,” referring to the world’s worst nuclear incident in Chernobyl in 1986. “It means the biggest danger in Europe,” he warned.

Mutual accusations

Russia has denied wrongdoing. Moscow and Kyiv have accused each other of responsibility for the ongoing shelling in the area.

Two members of a United Nations team sent last week to inspect the facility have remained at the plant to ensure its safety and perhaps reduce fighting in the area.

It comes amid U.S. allegations that Russia is buying millions of rockets and artillery shells from North Korea to support its invasion of Ukraine.

Washington claims it shows the Russian military continues to suffer from severe supply shortages in Ukraine due partly to export controls and sanctions.

U.S. intelligence officials believe Russia could try to acquire additional North Korean military equipment in the future.

The finding comes after the Biden administration confirmed the Russian military took delivery of Iranian-manufactured drones in August for use on the battlefield in Ukraine.

Popular News

Cardinal Cupich offers encouragement to immigrants on Ash Wednesday

Cardinal Blase Cupich, Archbishop of Chicago, presides over an outdoor Ash Wednesday Mass and...

Our sin and the burden of a world that is in flames

Our Editorial Director reflects on Pope Leo XIV’s homily at Mass on Ash Wednesday...

Pope to Legionaries of Christ: Religious authority is service, not domination

Meeting with the General Chapter of the Legionaries of Christ, Pope Leo XIV says...

Pope to visit Pompeii, Naples, and Lampedusa on pastoral tour of Italy

The Prefecture of the Papal Household announces Pope Leo’s pastoral day visits in Italy...